Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thing 20. Libraries and Social Networks

I prefer Facebook over MySpace. I like the increased privacy of it, and it seems a little more mature, even though Facebook is supposed to be open to younger people. My Space seems to have sillier and more raunchy material visibly posted. As I was searching library groups to join, however, I ran into a group about having sex in the library, so I guess neither are perfect.

I joined the Library 2.0 group. That would be interesting. I could possibly get some ideas.

I was able to find my brother and sister-in-law to add as friends. Because of the different networks, it takes a little while to find people you know. Also the email search didn't help too much because I didn't have one of the more commone free emails. I have a school email and a home one from a local network. Therefore, it couldn't search my contacts.

It was cool that Hennipin County Library has over 1200 friends on it's MySpace Page. That's an interesting idea. If you can get kids to join, that would be a good way to communicate. Because it's blocked at school, it wouldn't help there, but it might help at home. I like that it offered way to put the Hennipin Library book search tool into their own MySpace pages. I wonder how they did that. Cool.

1 comment:

jd aka diane said...

a "group about having sex in the library" ??? that must have to fall into the "now I've heard everything" category???