Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thing 15. Online Games and Libraries

We've struggled with the whole gaming phenomenon just as most libraries have. I totally understand that students love games and that game developers are genius in how they motivate players to continue in the game. However, our tax payers get really uncomfortable when they see kids playing games on taxpayer provided computers. As a compromise, I have developed a web page full of links to games with at least some academic nature to them. They could be logic games, history role playing games (BBC has a ton of good ones) or academic skill games (typing, vocab, etc.). Some, like Text Twist, are more popular than others, and I still need to ask kids to log off the "dirt bike over the hill" type games. PR-wise, I just can't allow them.

I tried out the second life option because I was curious about it. I can see where kids get sucked in. It's interesting and much like the other video games they play. The library application are interesting. I'd be curious to see usage stats on this. While it has potential, I don't think I can invest the time it would take to create a virtual library world for my students in second life. Not only that, it would suck up even more of our band width. That may change over time, but for now, I'll let others take the lead on this one.

No comments: