Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thing 16. Student 2.0 Tools

I've looked at research calculators before. The one from ELM is good. I like the U of M one. They are very similar and offer solid suggestions for steps. I've introduced these tools to my English and Social Studies teachers on several occassions,and while they all liked them, I'm afraid none are currently using them regularly. A few have used the teacher materials available and some of the links within the calculators for students to get more examples and help.

I really like the examples for MLA citations on this calculator. I will need to pass that on to my English teachers. I may also link that off my media center page, so students have that guide available to them as well.

The other thing I've found is that the students who need these most do not use them. That's a bit frustrating. I think the remedy to this (at least in part) is go get a teacher to require it's use, so kids buy into it and see it through to the end. I might even try it for our inventory routine or something like that.

Yes, I can see using this in the media center. It would be good for organizing projects that I'm undertaking or my para. We don't do as much writing or researching in this way, but occassionally it could help.

No comments: