Saturday, February 9, 2008

Thing 4: Flickr

I'm sort of a photo nut, so I found this to be fun. I felt a little restricted by the 100 mb limit on hosting space. That really doesn't allow for a lot of posting, certainly not if the images are print quality. For sharing online, I suppose you could get a couple hundred images out there, but print quality shots, you'd be lucky to host 25 or so. I understand why this is. Server space can get expensive, and they're giving this to us for free. I'm assuming there is a subscription upgrade, and that's how Library of Congress was able to upload more. I don't think I'll be throwing money into this, but it might be a neat way to share photos in a hurry.

As for a media center application, I could possibly see posting student work, but I think I'd opt for my local website first. We're also experimenting with Moodle, which is a more secure environment. I know I could restrict visibility on Flickr, but that sort of defeats the purpose in some ways.

I did really like the map feature. That was cool.

No comments: