Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thing 5: Mashup Madness

Here's my attempt to put in some lettering Mashup work from Flickr. I decided to put in my new band's name to see if I could find anything cool. It's not bad, but I'm not sure I'd actually use it. I have a question about copyright as well. I'm assuming that these are public domain, but you know what they say about assuming . . .

I could see using a mashup, but I doubt that I'd actually make one. I don't have the writing skills for that, and I don't have the time to invest in learning it. I tried the retriever tool too. That is interesting, but I'd say it's more for fun than usefullness. Possibly an art teacher could make use of it when study shape and color to make connections with otherwise unrelated objects in the world. It might be a fun study.

I like the idea of posting images online if you are willing to give up your copyright to them. Otherwise, it gets too dicy and confusing for users. I just ran into a pretty tech savvy person who had no idea images online were copyrighted. Things are so easy to do online that people feel that everything you "can" do is OK. That's where the education part of the equation comes into play, of course, but it's hard to find time in the teaching day to get all these in. I try, but I'm afraid that with our limited time, our students' knowledge of these things is also limited.

One more note on Flickr--We had a concert at our performing arts center last night with our high school band and Concordia College band sharing the stage. It was a wonderful show, and I posted a couple images from the show on Flickr, so the director could use them if he wanted to. That was one immediate use I found with it--an image sharing tool.

Here's my mashup.

S Q Pastry Cutter U A R ee 1

No comments: