Friday, February 29, 2008

Thing 11. Tagging and Del.icio.us

I've been familiar with this tool for awhile, but I never took the time to set it up. I tended to store my bookmarks with the Google toolbar feature. With the login, that follows me where I go. The advantage of del.icio.us is that it allows the metatags. That's a handy sort tool.

I think, as with any of these tools, you need to pick and choose. The mere vastness of web 2.0 will drive you crazy unless you zero in on a few tools you really want to use well. Otherwise, I think we get sucked into the "mile wide, inch deep" dilemma.

That being said, I think Del.icio.us can have some classroom and media applications if you want it to. I currently list websites on my media center website, and I organize them into categories. The advantage of Del.icio.us is that users could search by metadata. The appearance is not as interesting as my own website (which could be a problem for teens who are always looking for the flash). However, it might made the use of the links more accessible. I'm afraid now that students don't take the time to search through the links. With the booksmarking site, they could search, which would be faster and easier. The key would be applying appropriate meta tags. For that, it would be important to think like a kid when setting them up.

Kids could also use it as a way to organize websites they find during their researching. I'm not sure how the tool bar download would work with so many users. I suppose my tech guy would just need to install it locally on all school machines, so kids could use it.

Overall, there is potential here. I may need to explore it further. Maybe it could even be built into research units (if teachers give me more time with their kids).

No comments: