Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thing 27: Twitter

OK, so I finally got in and tried Twitter. It's definitely been the media darling this past 1/2 year. I think it translates well with media folk because it embodies what they do--get information out to people. I've noticed it has gotten really hot with celebrities and news personalities. They seem to be almost panicing to get people to follow their posts, as if their worth as a reporter was dependent upon how many followers they have on Twitter. I've also noticed multiple sports figures using Twitter--and getting themselves into trouble because they don't think before they post. It'll be interesting to see if this sticks.

My account is http://twitter.com/HSMediaMusings

I first put my account as private and then opened it up again. I probably won't post too much here. I honestly get a little fatigued with information overload, and I don't want to compound the problem by posting pointless personal ramblings like I'm seeing on some of the posts I'm following. For instance, I'm not sure I need to know Adam Duritz of the Counting Crows pulled his hamstring on a treadmill and then used a friend's sports cream to heal himself.

I can see some potential in libraries and schools. I've been toying with the idea of posting school news updates (upcoming events, etc.) on a school account, but I'm not sure I have the time to religiously post to it. I know that if I do it, it needs to stay updated or people will never check back or get annoyed. I liked some of the things Hibbing was posting--events, library updates like added wifi. I liked one blogger's suggesting of informing patrons of new books. These all have potential. However, my tech guys are not very big on Twitter. They see it as a virus nightmare. This puzzles me a little as I haven't heard much talk about this part of it. I'll continue to follow it and think about it, but for now, I don't have big plans for it.

This activity, however, was good for gaining a better awareness of this popular tool.

No comments: