Friday, June 12, 2009

Thing 28: Customized Home Pages

I went with iGoogle. Yeah, maybe that's boring, but I still like Google. They have a lot of great things to offer . . . and they should with their $500,000 per year R and D department. It's also the one that would connect most to kids. They often equate the Internet with Google. I try to teach them otherwise, but there are good reasons Google is so big. While others do parts of the search industry better, Google probably does the most well of any of them . . . and the page is very easy to set up.

I added a few neat tools to my page. I put a translater on there as well as a clock and weather update. I also have some of my favorite news feeds on the main page, and I check the headlines daily when I log on. I found a neat new gadget (iMusic) that lists local concerts although I was disappointed to see that I missed Big and Rich at Winstock today. They are great, and that is only 15 miles from my house. I see Three Doors Down is coming to Mystic Lake, however. I might need to check that one out.

For me, the biggest application in the media world is for putting RSS feeds and news feeds for media topics on my screen more frequently. If they are there, I'm more apt to read them. That's a good thing. I doubt I'd do anything with the students, however. There are more important things I need to teach them, and I have only a limited amount of time.

No comments: