Saturday, January 26, 2008

Thing 3: RSS Feeds

This was very informative for me. Thanks for all the great links to tutorials and video clips. Those are awesome!

I did have an iGoogle account previously, so I used the Google Reader. It was a little short on directions, but not too hard to figure out.

I used a couple of the recommended feeds and added those to my list. There were some interesting ones regarding library media and library 2.0. For me, the key will be making this a habit. I need to develop a routine of visiting my Google Reader page to check these out each day. I'm not sure where I'll find the time. I realize that if it's important enough, I'll make time, but there are a LOT of important things for me to do each day. This will be my challenge.

At home, I tend not to use my iGoogle page as my home page. For one thing, my family doesn't like looking at my links. Second, it takes a lot longer to load on our connection. I may start using it more at school, however. Currently, my school page is my home page because that's where I have all my resources, but I may need to use this one too. Maybe I'll make iGoogle my home page in firefox and my school's page the default in Explorer.

I do like how easy it is to skim the headlines. It showed me quickly topics I was unaware of--like ebooks for cell phones. Interesting.

I do want to explore how to use iTunes to syndicate podcasts of our students and teachers. I'm not sure how that works. I know a local school uses it, and I think it could be a good tool. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I'd syndicate feeds of our own. Viewing others' feeds is one thing, but I'm also curious about how to set up a feed of my own.

No comments: