Saturday, January 26, 2008

Thing 2: Library 2.0

I feel a little embarassed to admit that I hadn't heard of library 2.0 before. I'm well aware of web 2.0, but the library connection had escaped me. That being said, I have definitely been aware of the issues involved. More specifically, how do we bring the "interactive world of our students" to the educational setting?

I am in charge of upkeeping our school's website, so I have worked hard to make my media center page a useful place for kids to visit when conducting research. In fact, I've spent a lot of time and energy into embedding its use into many curriculum projects in our school. My goal is to get the best resources to the most kids as many times as possible, and I feel it is working pretty well. Our links to research databases are prominent on the media center page, and we encourage students to go to these places first and often. I've also added a series of other links including: class projects and resources, a virtual reference desk, teacher materials, subject area links and online books. I still have a ways to go in getting all these things utilized as much as I'd like, but I'm getting there.

The place where I feel the most need to improve is in the area of web 2.0 tools. I do not currently use blogs, wikis, etc. on my site, but I want to explore these options. Our school is currently planning to use Moodle for the first time. I'm excited about the interactive possibilities this tool presents, such as forums and chats. I'd also like to migrate to Follett Destiny, so we can make use of the review feature that I've heard is included. Students are used to being able to post their opinions about things in their social network settings. This would be a way to bring this to the OPAC stations. The cost has been a hinderance to this point, but I'm hopeful I can find a way to get there.

The part I struggle most with regarding library 2.0 is the balance between using these tools and keeping my patrons secure. In this age of information promiscuity, I worry about kids exposing too much of themselves on the web. Maybe my thinking is just outdated, but I feel we need to find a "safe" way to use these interactive tools. Moodle excites me because the interaction takes place behind a secure login. Each student would have a username and password. Some of the other free tools do not offer these measures.

I will definitely keep investigating these tools. I do want my media center to stay relevant with today's students, and I'm constantly reminded by my own teenaged children that the interactive web is where they live. The challenge is to find valid uses for these new tools, not just use for the sake of novelty.

No comments: